Monogram Foods Penny Hardaway Essay Competition
Penny Hardaway Essay Contest
All current 11th graders in the Memphis, Shelby County, Tipton County, Crittenden County and Desoto County area are invited to write an essay on Penny Hardaway for a $1,000 scholarship and the chance to attend a University of Memphis game with Penny himself.
The essay should be approximately 500 words (one page) and be on the topic: “Penny Hardaway: A Great Memphis Role-Model” a. The essay should explain why Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway is a great role-model. The essay should focus on his overall character and explain his commitment to his family, his perseverance in overcoming hardship and contribution to his community. The essay must be specific; we expect students to research Penny’s actions off the courts and then explain how his actions can influence our society in a positive way.
How to Submit:
a.Both typed or hand written applications are acceptable b.Essays may be mailed or emailed i.All essay submissions must be accompanied by a Cover Sheet (Click here to access the Cover Sheet) ii. Mail to: Monogram Foods ATTN: Penny Hardaway Essay Competition 530 Oak Court Dr. Suite 400 Memphis, TN 38117 iii. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org c. Contest runs September 23 – November 15 d. Winners announced by November 27th
Who can Apply:
- Open to Students in the 11th grade as of August 2015
- Students must attend a high school within the areas of: Shelby County, Fayette County, Tipton County, Crittenden County or DeSoto County
Why Penny Hardaway?
Penny Hardaway is the spokesperson for King Cotton. He is known to many as Memphis’ Favorite Son. He is widely acclaimed for his citizenship and strong character.
Guidelines for the Prize Structure
- Top 100 essays win a ticket to a University of Memphis game (date TBD) and entry to a reception hosted by Penny Hardaway
- Top 10 essays win a $1,000 scholarship paid to an accredited college or community college or trade school and to be used by the end of calendar year 2019
- All students must sign a liability release form before the game
- By entering the competition, you allow us to use your name and any photos taken by Monogram Foods for promotional purposes
- Affidavit/acceptance form for scholarship
- Essay winners will be notified via the information given on the Cover Sheet as to which University of Memphis game they will be invited to attend
- Tickets WILL NOT be mailed to the winners; winners will secure their own transportation to the game and will be met by Monogram-identified employees who will provide tickets to the game and chaperone students during the game. Students will be seen into their private vehicles after the game
- Winners will meet and greet with Penny 30 minutes prior to the start of the game